The roof of a convertible is typically made of fabric or vinyl. Due to its construction, and the fact it is constantly exposed to the sun, rain and other weather elements, it needs protective maintenance if you want it to last and look its best. Luckily there are many types of cleaner/protectant products out there that will help you do just that. This article lists some of the best convertible top protectant products available starting with the most popular.
1. RaggTopp Convertible Top Kit
- Brand: Raggtopp
- Product number: RT-KIT1
- Size: 16-ounce cleaner, 14-ounce protectant
- Protects against: acid rain, ultraviolet rays, smog, sap, bird droppings, salt, tar, dirt, grease, oil, and debris
- Product type: Cleaner- spray, Protectant- Aerosol
This product has a low PH, is antioxidant, and is bleach -free so there is no residue left behind after you use it, which is why we had to include it on the list. Plus, another advantage is that it’s safe for use on both vinyl and fabric convertible tops, SUV roofs, Simcon tops, tonneau covers
2. Chemical Guys Convertible Top Cleaner and Protectant Kit
- Brand: Chemical Guys
- Product number: HOL_996
- Size: 16-ounce cleaner, 16-ounce Protectant
- Protects against: Staining, sunlight, dirt, bird droppings, road tar, sap, mud, bugsProduct type: Separate cleaner and protectant, both sprays
This product is safe for use on all convertible tops and tonneau covers, all colors, including vinyl, cloth, canvas, and synthetic. Moreover, its formula is non-toxic and uses a micro-bond technology that bonds to the fibers that make up your convertible top for maximum protection.
3. Forever Car Care Black Top Gel and Foam
- Brand: Forever Car Care
- Product number: FB813
- Size: 8 ounces
- Protects against: UV, water, dust
- Product type: Squeeze gel
Yet another product that is safe for use on plastic, rubber, and vinyl is this combination of gel and foam. This is one of the best convertible top protectants can also be used on bumpers, wheel wells, handles, spoilers, and mirror housings. However, it’s not for use on fabric type convertible tops.
4. 303 High Tech Fabric Guard & Cleaner Combo
- Brand: 303 Products
- Product number: 303-200
- Size: 32-ounce fabric cleaner, 32-ounce Fabric Guard
- Protects against: Sunlight, water, dirt
- Product type: Cleaner- Spray, Protectant- Spray
This product is great and safe to use on fabric and vinyl, which is great. It’s even better that the fabrics become highly waterproof after use. However, keep in mind that the sprays leave a “petroleum” odor when applied.
5. Surf City Garage Convertible Cleaner and Protectant
- Brand: Surf City Garage
- Product number: 109
- Size: 24 ounces
- Protects against: Mildew, Dirt, Dust, water, UV rays
- Product type: Single spray bottle for both cleaning and protecting
Number 5 on our list is one of the best products for convertibles, vinyl tops, tonneau covers or truck bed covers. Moreover, it keeps your convertible top supple and soft preventing the stiffening often seen with convertible tops that are exposed to outdoor conditions.
6. TriNova Marine Protectant & Aeronautical Restorer
- Brand: TriNova
- Product number: FBA_33305
- Size: 18 ounces
- Protects against: UV rays,
- Product type: Spray bottle (single bottle, dual purpose)
You can use the Trinova product on plastic, rubber, vinyl, bimini tops, gel coat, seats, upholstery, awnings, and all marine surfaces. Plus, the UV blockers will help stop your convertible top from cracking and fading, which is yet another advantage.
Any vehicle is an investment you will want to keep in “like new” condition for as long as possible. Having a convertible means a little extra maintenance since the top is often made of fabric or vinyl that is constantly being exposed to harsh weather and sunlight. If you want to help slow or prevent cracking and discoloration, it is important to clean and protect your convertible top regularly. This list gave you some best convertible top protectant options to help maintain and defend your investment.
Do you own a convertible? What cleaning and protecting routine have you found keeps your car looking its best? Leave comments below.
Other articles you might like: